The Youth Ministry Director will report to the Associate Priest.
Director of Youth Ministries serves as coordinator for all youth events, Grade 5and – 12and, and is responsible for the weekly programming of the Sunday School and Sunday evening youth groups. This position also aims to provide mid-week fellowship opportunities for youth and facilitates participation in diocesan events and programs.
responsibilities and duties
- Build trusting relationships with our youth, as well as their parents, through excellent communication and pedagogical skills. Create a welcoming atmosphere and plan to follow up with new visitors to youth events. Specific tasks include:
- Constant Contact weekly emails to parents and youth
- Maintaining contact with young people through text groups and social media
- Maintain all youth social media sites, youth website and brochures
- Recruit, train and support all volunteers needed to implement Christian education and activity programs for 5and-12and Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Weekly contact with all teachers
- Collect supplies and maintain Sunday school rooms
- Prepare for teacher training with other child and youth staff and clergy
- Plan a weekly youth gathering for Sunday evenings
- Plan the program
- Collect supplies
- Coordinate volunteers and food
- Plan and coordinate Lenten Wednesdays for young people
- Organize, lead and/or attend special events and youth trips/retreats such as Diocesan Youth Events (Rites of Spring, Young People Paint Birmingham, Christmas Conference, etc.), Advent Retreat, Corn Maze, SPAM Hunt, Ski Trip, Summer Mission Trip, Outreach Trips and Opportunities, Rafting Trip and any other trip or outing.
- Support the parish youth confirmation program under the direction of the associate priest, including providing feedback on the program, and coordinating volunteers and all other aspects of the program.
- Encourage and support the participation of young people in the life of the parish and the diocese, as acolyte, reader and other roles/programs.
- Plan and conduct monthly Child and Youth Council meetings in coordination with other Child and Youth staff.
- Recruit board members
- Plan agendas and reception
- lead meetings
- Communicate with members about meetings, notes and action items
- Serve as a catalyst for the spiritual growth of youth, both in small groups and in daily conversations with students and youth ministry leaders.
- Coordinate with clergy in the selection of developmentally appropriate programs and programs, including the Episcopal Youth Fellowship (youth group outside of Sunday morning programs)
- Consult and collaborate every two months with the Youth Council, including regular contact with Vestry Liaison with the Ministry of Youth
- Oversee the administration of the youth programs budget, with regular review and approval by the associate priest
- Attend diocesan youth ministry meetings
- Participate in weekly staff meetings to ensure good communication of events that impact other staff (building/land, newsletter, finance, etc.)
- Participate in continuing education
- Participate in other aspects of parish life in order to increase visibility and advocate for the active presence of young people in the life of the congregation. This will include encouraging young people to attend parish-wide events, serve on parish committees and serve as lay leaders in worship.
- Meet regularly with the associate priest to coordinate, plan and evaluate progress and processes.