At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers probe the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the largest and most complex scientific instruments in the world, they study the basic constituents of matter – fundamental particles that are driven to collide at near the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact and provides insight into the fundamental laws of nature. Learn more at http://home.cern.
Within the IT department, included in the Research and IT sector, managing a budget of 54 MCHF, under the general supervision of the Head of the Resource Management Group, you will lead the team responsible for the management and budget analysis, financial accounting and reporting, performance planning and monitoring, to support the efficient and effective use of resources and strengthen the financial performance of the department. You will be active in cross-functional activities essential to the proper functioning of the IT department with numerous interactions with group leaders and business actors.
You will be:
- Be in charge of the cost analysis process. You will then develop and establish procedures, tools and processes aimed at promoting the achievement of an optimized price-quality ratio;
- Consolidate and analyze financial data taking into account the objectives and the financial situation of the organization;
- Be the main point of contact with CERN central administration services for resource planning, accounting and purchasing;
- Apply CERN financial rules and use ERP systems;
- Analyze financial performance, identify risks and propose/implement mitigation/improvement measures;
- Develop financial models, perform benchmarking and processes (total cost of ownership, cost of goods served);
- Carry out studies on past, future and comparative performance, and identify areas for improvement; review actual results against forecasts;
- Manage the preparation and review of project budget plans; analyze spend and risk and provide advice to the Head of Resource Management and departmental management on the optimal use of resources; Prepare annual financial reports;
- Support the formulation of target KPIs and KRIs and lead systematic performance reviews against set objectives:
- Supervise, motivate and coach the finance team to enable continuous development and high performance;
- Support the follow-up of audits related to the activities of the IT department;
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
Indicators of success
- Informed decision making enabled, providing sound financial analysis, including potential risks;
- Financial models developed and maintained, and financial risks analyzed;
- Improved processes for planning and monitoring IT department performance as part of the work plan and annual performance plan.
Master’s degree or equivalent relevant experience in finance, procurement, accounting or related field.
A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license or similar is desired.
- Demonstrated experience in the financial operations (planning, monitoring, reporting and analysis) of a complex organization, advising senior management on financial and accounting matters.
- Experience in accounting and/or financial reporting in an international environment.
- Experience with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
- Ability to distill and present clearly, in non-technical terms, the financial aspects of sometimes very complex and multi-faceted initiatives.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing new processes or practices in a large organization.
- Knowledge of IT products, services and projects would be an asset.
- Experience with financial systems/financial modules of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system would be an asset.
- Experience in negotiating with external suppliers and service providers would be desirable.
Technical skills :
- Reporting and financial analysis.
- Cost control.
- Planning of human and material resources.
- Organization, planning and control.
- Project management.
- Excel skills combined with good presentation, report writing and analytical skills.
- Setting a direction: setting clear, challenging and achievable goals; define and communicate performance indicators;
- Achieve results: have a structured and organized approach to work; be able to establish priorities and plan tasks according to the results. Take appropriate corrective actions and adapt work/project plans if necessary;
- Work in the interests of the Organization: demonstrate motivation for own work, be enthusiastic, involved and energetic in pursuing tasks;
- Demonstrate flexibility: easily absorb new techniques and work practices; propose new or improved working methods;
- Manage yourself: work well independently; undertake activities and tasks uninvited.
Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak the English language in professional contexts with the willingness to learn French; as well as the ability to write reports and make oral presentations in English.
Eligibility and Closing Date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN’s mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This position will be filled as soon as possible and applications should normally reach us no later than 16.05.2022 at noon CET.
Conditions of employment
Type of contract: Fixed-term contract (5 years). Under certain conditions, holders of fixed-term contracts can apply for a permanent position.
These functions require:
- Night work, Sundays and public holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Position rating: 6-7
Position reference: IT-DI-2022-39-LD
Reference Job Title: Finance Professional